Did you know that the three most common causes of fire in churches are arson attacks, faulty electrical wiring and building contractors?
Many risks can be reduced simply by good management, and usually cost nothing to implement if people are aware of the issues. Having a fire risk assessment in place is vital for both staff and visitors.
Here are our top 10 tips on what to do to reduce the risk of fire in your church:
1. Ensure that a fire risk assessment is implemented and carried out
2. Ensure the provision of suitable fire safety measures and firefighting equipment such as fire extinguishers and fire blankets.
3. Consider installing an automatic fire detection system
4. Make sure your church is secure
5. Conduct regular inspection of electrical wiring
6. Do not keep combustible waste material in the building.
7. When works of repair or restoration are in progress make sure you inspect the church carefully at the end of each working day.
8. Issue a hot works permit to building contractors.
9. Manage the workers while they are on the premises and make sure they follow the safety guidelines.
10. Keep candles away from flammable decorations and electrical equipment.
WRS are independent church insurance brokers who can help advise you on your insurance needs and risks. Please browse our website for further information or give us a call – 01206 760780 if you have any questions.